Sunday, December 7, 2008

Keepin' it real

My friend Brea often writes about being real. I love to read those because it is always a reminder of how we are all human and if we would just keep it real there would be a lot more clarity in this world. Well here is my most recent real moment...

My kids attend Greenbrier Elementary School they are in 1st and 4th grade. We rec'd a note that came home with each child asking if anyone would like to adopt an angel or if anyone was in need of being an angel. After a life lesson talk with my kids they each decided to adopt a child that was around the same age and was the same gender. So yesterday I was a Target getting some shopping done while Tim was sleeping and the kids were hanging out with Granna (Tim's mom). So I start looking for things for our little angels. Now keep in mind they ask that we buy an entire outfit for these kids, shirt, pants, underwear, socks, and shoes. I go over all of the sale racks piece by piece trying to find the cheapest piece of clothing that doesn't look like the cheapest piece of clothing, then I go to the underwear and try to find the cheapest pack of underwear there is. I didn't get shoes there because there weren't any on sale cheap enough, I figured I could get some cheaper later. Is the selfishness making you sick yet? So I get home and like a ton of bricks hitting me, I realize what a selfish person I am. I would never be this bargain conscious with clothes for my kids. Here I am pinching pennies with things for these kids who really need my help. And for my kids (who need NOTHING) I don't give it a second thought. What am I teaching my kids? I shutter to think of the example that I am setting for them. My intention is to go shopping again this week with my kids and re-do what I have so badly messed up, which is the true meaning of giving unselfishly, the way that God has taught us to. This Christmas we are fortunate to have more income than we have in a long time. I am so ashamed that it has not been my thoughts to use that extra to help others. Lord, please help me to keep my eyes on you and the meaning of this season. Amen

No comments:

Visitors